Sofa Rest

Sofa Rest

Monday, March 8, 2010

NOTHING DOING

On February 27, 2010

Under house arrest, I mean bed rest. At 24 weeks, 2 days, I am pregnant with a son who has a beating heart, kicking legs and a beautiful skull.  At 6 weeks, the midwives at UCLA gave me a 50% chance of miscarriage due to a small amniotic sac and daily bleeding, now over.  The next sonogram revealed terribly low rates of amniotic fluid; other tests implied chromosomal problems, later ruled out.  Doctors counseled that we consider termination due to Oligohydramnios: extremely low amniotic fluid. Likely cause? Potter’s Sequence, meaning various severe kidney anomalies, many 100%% fatal.  We held off, not from external moral dictates, but because though I tried to be rational intellectual and pragmatic, I fell in love with the little guy. Dr. Ramen Chmait, who specializes in fetal surgery, reviewed the kidneys and the tiny bladder with visible urine and found Potter’s Sequence unlikely.  A test proved the ongoing leakage of amniotic fluid, which feels like weeping every time it happens. He counseled bed rest, to try to collect new amniotic fluid – crucial to the development of functional lungs.

Exercise is holy in L.A., good for everything.  From childhood I have been active: horsebackriding, dance, swimming, running, karate, hiking, biking and yoga. Pacing on the phone at work. With my son I did handstands and backbends in yoga when I was 8 days over due with no ill effect.  People say “I would do anything for my child.” In our case, what I can do for this child is literally nothing.  Doing nothing. I only get up for the lightest cooking and a shower, lying prone, not sitting up.  I have a career, a teenager and a toddler.  A household to run. And here I lie. Every instinct is to roughhouse with the toddler, pick up the floor, go to urgent work meetings, take my son to see a friend.  Being intentionally indolent feels like a betrayal of self-sufficiency, efficacy, parenthood, the environment, my career.  But as my other half said when I came to help in the kitchen, after a not restful day with bad results to the fluid, “Do you love this baby? Go lie down.” So I did.

It is humbling to ask for help. Help driving kids.  Meetings set up via phone. Looking for a grocery store that can deliver.  Pleading with loved ones to take the little one to the park.  Everyone is very generous.  Only pride makes it hurt.  And a yearning for the sky.  19 days into this and I have had panicky attacks where I just wanted out.  But one early grocery run made it clear that my gain was the baby’s loss.  So I am on my side, typing, with deepened respect for women in Islamic societies, compassion for anyone in jail, honor to anyone living with a disability. 

Thank you Randal, Tuolumne and Lucilla, my family, friends, colleagues and kind strangers.  Yes, I will do anything for this baby. Even if anything means nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment